I have an obsession with liquid lipsticks, that’s no lie, and I’m always on the hunt to try more. Jeffree Star is new to the market, coming to center stage once the drama of Lime Crime surfaced. Sure he’s been around since the Myspace days but it’s only recently that he’s started making his own line of makeup. I say line of makeup as I’ve heard he’s bringing out eyeshadows this year too! Currently in his collection he’s released 10 colours in his liquid lipstick line with many more to come. I’ve always wanted to try them out and finally a colour with my name all over it was released..
Anna Nicole is the perfect orange red. I adore orange-reds as I think they really suit my skin tone and offset my blue eyes nicely. They are easy to wear at any time of the year and are a nice change to wearing a “standard” red. I purchased mine from an authorised Australian stockist Makeupnet. They are a store in Melbourne that also sells online, they seem to be the fastest in receiving stock when it launches and their customer service is amazing. I highly recommend them!
Now onto what I think about the lipstick. Gosh, where do I start! I know liquid lipsticks are drying, you can’t have something that dries matte and doesn’t dry out your lips. However I honestly felt like I have nothing on my lips at all! I didn’t feel like all the moisture was drawn out or that my lips were cracking, which does happen with some brands. It did wear away from the inside of my mouth after eating and drinking throughout the day, yet I didn’t feel like I needed to touch up at all. My only gripe is that on me the product does transfer. It’s not kiss-proof 😦 This doesn’t bother me too much, my husband usually stays away from kissing my lips when I’m wearing lipstick regardless of it’s staying power.
I think I’ve found a new favourite liquid lipstick and look forward to collecting more colours in the future!
I personally love liquid lipsticks, especially when they dry matte. I was first introduced to the liquid lipstick world with Lime Crime Red Velvet, now as much as I detest advertising the company, I am going to do it. People have asked me many times as to why I don’t like the company Lime Crime, and I get all my facts from here. I also am trying to understand why they cut stockists in Australia, it caused a huge uproar on the internet and was interesting to watch unfold. But whatever, if they want to shoot themselves in the foot then so be it! Anyway I’m not here to moan about them, I’m here to compare cheaper branded liquid lipsticks and high end ones. Just for reference they all dry to a matte finish, the best kind of liquid lipstick in my opinion!
I actually have 3 cheaper and 3 high end, all are red so they are easier to compare! First up are the cheaper –
- Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red. Very creamy and thicker texture. Smells like vanilla and caramel. Has ok lasting power but I had to wipe off and reapply 3 times throughout the day (with only eating once). Great pigmentation though!
- VelourLips Matte Lip Cream in Ny-Cee. Even thicker than the above listed and STRONG smell of sherbet, like I can smell the swatch on my arm as it’s on my desk typing this sentence. Actually made me feel sick as the smell didn’t go away. Applies unevenly and flakes off within an hour. Makes my mouth feel like the Sahara Desert.
- Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Hot Pepper. Not a lot of pigment, but by layering you make it uneven and it flakes off. Takes a long time to dry and dries unevenly. Not a fan!
The high ends are –
- Lime Crime Velvetine in Red Velvet. Good lasting power, but does need to be reapplied after eating as inside of mouth melts off. Good pigmentation but I’d recommend one pump per lip, to prevent patchy application. If my lips are particular dry it can flake off, but I just wipe off and reapply.
- Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon. Good lasting power, but does need to be reapplied after eating as inside of mouth melts off. After a few hours the edges bleed and feather, I’d recommend matching this with a lip liner to prevent this. Warning – this does stain your lips, so use a good oil based remover when you want to break ties with it.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Bloodline. Very pigmented and the runniest of them all. Only need one pump for enough colour on both lips. Good lasting power, but does need to be reapplied after eating as inside of mouth melts off. People say they need oil based removers to get these off, but I found Micellar Water works just fine. Feels really comfortable on lips, like there’s nothing there at all.
With all these I recommend you exfoliate and moisturise the night before. I do find some make my lips drier throughout the day and some don’t. Really it comes down to personal preference unfortunately! A lot of people like the ones I don’t like, but my favourite “Save” liquid lipstick is the Sephora Cream Lip Stain and my favourite “Splurge” liquid lipstick is the ABH Liquid Lipstick.
$13 VS $20? I’m going to vote SPLURGE for this one! You really can’t do wrong with the ABH Liquid Lipsticks, they have a huge colour range and I heard they will be expanding them soon too!